Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snowy Love

Oh what a glorious day for a snow day. I would have enjoyed it more if I had known classes were cancelled before I woke up, showered, and got dressed. Still I plopped back into bed and slept for another three hours. Lovely. The theme for today is snowy love, love songs with a winter theme. I just kept it to those with a winter reference and a love reference in the title to narrow down. Plus there's a third occasion today- the 15th anniversary of Weezer. I even incorporated that into the two previous themes.
First up is the Halo Benders, a side project between Calvin Johnson of Beat Happening and Doug Martsch of Built to Spill. As you can see from the quality of this image, they didn't exactly go for many promo shots. The song I'm uploading, Snowfall is from their first release God Don't Make No Junk. It's a superb song; a duet between the two where neither are even singing the same thing simultaneously. If you fell asleep while making snow angels in Seattle in 1994, this is what you'd dream. Before deadly frostbite.
The Halo Benders - Snowfall

"Snowfall
Why don't you come around?

We'll set the fire and get snowbound
Share our snowboots
And make soft snowy sounds
Snow falling down/snow on the ground
"


Stars -
What the Snowman Learned about Love

I really love the title of this song, perhaps more than the song itself. It's not quite a full fledged song, as it just opens the album up, but it's very pretty. At the beginning each member states their name and that "this is my heart." Kinda cute, kinda sappy, kinda whatever. Torque. Hahaha.

"How the heart bends

And summer she sends
A sky that refuses to die

With weeds of the sea
That wrap 'round our knees
And a sun too hot to go down
You come around"

As a bonus here's the video for the Stars song, Your Ex-Lover is Dead. It's a better song than this one and the video has a great wintery feel, albiet ripping off the ice rink part of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That scene was so good though that why wouldn't you want to see a video paying tribute to it?




Animal Collective - Winters Love

Oh Animal Collective. Sung Tungs. That's the album. Solid
album. This song is probably about doin' it. Kinky kinky animal sex...in the snow.
"She’s warm underneath my pocket
Just a calm and modern day
In early, early morning
Rush to her, and rush to him,
Am I a better person?
even in the whole take on
the loss is better said
I pulled the boy out of above
She made that boy a man"


Homie - Lover in the Snow

Rivers Cuomo. What do you know? My knowledge of Weezer history isn't as sharp as it used to be, perhaps because I no longer live in a world where Weezer, The Rentals and Ozma are the only bands of any importance. From what I can remember Homie was a Rivers side project formed somewhere in the late 90's. They were best known for the song American Girls which was on the soundtrack for some crappy movie. (I googled. It was Meet the Deedles. You got me.) Well the lyrics to this song are your typical Weezer, not as good as The World Has Turned and Left Me Here yet not quite as low as We Are All on Drugs. The song itself is decent enough. I can guarantee today is the first time in 5 years that I've listened to it. Regardless, Happy Birthday Weezer. I may just have to whip out Pinkerton later today.

"What does he do?
What does he do to you that's so nice?
And how does it feel
When he takes your hand and kisses it twice?
Lying with you
Down in the snow
Letting him do
All of the things that he wants to".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't be knockin' my stars, bro!

;)

Blogs looking great man, keep it up!