Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Smiths + Sugarcubes + Bright Eyes + Sufjan Stevens


Today I turn 20! I'm officially no longer a teenager- something that's both exciting and a bit frightening. Well, today's selections will be a quadruple threat- 4 songs with "birthday" in the title. Huzzah!

The Smiths - Unhappy Birthday


Rumer has it is that this is one of the most hated Smiths songs. Why I ask? It's kinda oddly charming to hear Morrissey wish me an unhappy birthday. But get this- if I die he'll be slightly sad but won't cry. How sweet. Same for you, you big gay.

Oh I kid. Morrissey's sexuality is like that of a tree.

"I've come to wish you an unhappy birthday
'Cause you're evil
And you lie

And if you should die
I may feel slightly sad
(But I won't cry)"


The Sugarcubes -
Birthday


Next here's the Sugarcubes, that band Bjork
was in before she went solo. I don't know much about the Sugarcubes though besides this song is awesome, and they reunited for a festival in Iceland this year. Lyrically...yeah i'm not gonna even touch this one.

"Today is a birthday
They're smoking cigars
He's got a chain of flowers

And sows a bird in her knickers"



Bright Eyes - Happ
y Birthday to Me (Feb 15th)

Here's an old Bright Eyes track...I believe Conor wrote it when he was 15. Impressive Oberst, impressive.









"I guess that it's typical
To cling to memories you'll never get back again
And to sort through old photographs
Of a summer lon
g ago or a friend that you used to know
And there below
His frozen face
You wrote the name and that ancient date,
That ancient date
And you can't believe that he's really gone
When all that's left is a fucking song and
I'm sorry about the phone call; and waking you

I know that it is late
But thank you for talking, because I needed to-
Some things just can't wait"



Sufjan Stevens - Happy Birthday

Lastly here's a early Sufjan Stevens song. Certainly more lo-fi and sparse than the Sufjan of today. Still it's pretty good and definitely shows potential. Or showed potential. The dude wrote Illinois. Sha boi!


"I'm happy, I'm happy
Your birthday brings a pardoning
I'm happy, I'm happy
You're like a bird that will not be"



No comments: