Sunday, February 4, 2007

First Post! Joanna Newsom - Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie


Today I created this mp3 blog. I spent a good bit of time of a name but after a while I just went with my first intuition- Indie Selections For Your Erections. But no don't be deceived by the name- this blog is directed at both sexes. Besides..girls can get musical erections too. I use "erection" metaphorically. Anyways let me begin with my first mp3:

Joanna Newsom - Clam, Crab, Cockle Cowrie

Joanna Newsom is an artist that I've been absolutely head over heels for lately. Her latest album Ys was easily my favorite record of 2006 and I have spent an immense amount time with the album over the last few months. However this selected song was from her previous release, 2004's The Milk-Eyed Mender, also a spectacular album. It closed the record with a beautiful yet somber tone that resonates within you long after the song finishes. In my opinion under all the vivid imagery there's a general feeling of longing and hope for the love of another, yet the affection you feel is overlooked and unreturned. "Oh will you just look at me?"

"There are some mornings when the sky looks like a road
There are some dragons who were built to have and hold
And some machines are dropped from great heights lovingly
and some great bellies ache with many bumblebees
(and they sting so terribly)"


The thing I love most about Joanna's music is how she is able to capture the curiosity and intrigue that a child feels about their surroundings in her lyrics yet they're far from child-like. It's a very difficult balance to achieve yet she does it impeccably. Oh, I love her so.

No comments: