Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Sigur Rós - Samskeyti (untitled #3)


Yesterday was absolutely frigid. It simply hurt to even be outside. As much as I love winter I absolutely loathe wind chills. Well that said while I was walking around campus with my Ipod on I played Sigur Rós' ( ), the perfect music for the cold. When this particular track came on, as cliche as it may seem, it made me feel warmer.

Sigur Rós - Samskeyti (Untitled #3)

The song itself is a gorgeous instrumental piece (apart from a few vocal harmonies) involving a swirling piano line complemented with ambient keyboard and guitar textures. It may initially seem relatively uniform throughout, but multiple listens yield subtle changes from part to part. It's generally a song that you'd get lost in, completely losing track of time with your attention focused on how the song and your environment blend together as one. Around the 5 minute mark the piano heads up one octave for a breathtaking transition that then begins to slowly fade into silence. Wondrous.

No comments: