Thursday, February 22, 2007

Jenny Lewis, Ben Gibbard, Conor Oberst and M. Ward - Handle with Care (Traveling Wilburys cover)

Today's cover comes from Jenny Lewis' solo release Rabbit Fur Coat, released just about a year and a month ago or the same day as Cat Power's The Greatest. Oh the connections continue! Well the shared release date from two of biggest female stars in the indie rock world brought on many comparisons between the two, especially with Lewis' release being much more folk and country tinged than her typically indie-pop released with Rilo Kiley. For the record Rabbit Fur Coat is my pick of the two, as The Greatest and was just too inconsistent for me. The title track, "Lived in Bars" and "Love and Communication" however are pretty fantastic songs.

Well on the J. Lew album for one of the tracks she pulled together an indie wet dream of a collaboration for a cover of the Travelling Wilburys song "Handle with Care." However for a background first on the the Travelling Wilburys, they were a short lived supergroup from the late 80's featuring Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Jeff Lyne (Electric Light Orchestra.) All the musicians came together to record the track as a b-side to a George Harrison single. However after they completed the track and realized how great it was, they decided to form a band and record an entire record. The Orbinson's death in 1988 cut the life of the band's original incarnation short, yet they recorded another album in 1990 without Roy, using the monikers Boo Wilbury (Dylan), Clayton Wilbury (Lynne), Muddy Wilbury (Petty), Spike Wilbury (Harrison).

The Jenny Lewis version of the song has her singing George Harrison's part, Ben Gibbard singing Roy Orbinson's part , M.Ward doing Tom Petty's, and Conor Oberst taking on Bob Dylan's (doing a lot to supress all the comments about him being the"New Dylan).
Musically they're both pretty consistent, though on the Jenny Lewis version the drum's tempo is a bit faster.

Jenny Lewis feat. Ben Gibbard, M. Ward, and Conor Oberst - Handle With Care

The Traveling Willburys - Handle With Care


(Harrison/ Lewis)
Been beat up and battered 'round.
Been sent up and I've been shot down.
You're the best thing that I've ever found.
Handle me with care.

Reputation's changeable.
Situation's tolerable.
Baby you're adorable.
Handle me with care.

(Orbinson/ Gibbard)
I'm so tired of being lonely.
I still have some love to give.
Wont you show me that you really care.

(Petty/Ward)
Everybody's got somebody to lean on.
Put your body next to mine and dream on.

(Harrison/Lewis)
I've been fucked off and I've been fooled.
I've been robbed and ridiculed.
In day care centers and night schools.
Handle me with care.

Been stuck in airports, terrorized.
Sent to meetings hypnotized.
Overexposed, commercialized.
Handle me with care.

(Dylan/Oberst)
I've been uptight and made a mess.
I'd clean it up myself I guess.
Oh the sweet smell of success.
Handle me with care.


Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat @Amazon.com
The Traveling Willbury's - Vol. 1 @ Amazon.com

No comments: