Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Yo La Tengo - The Summer












Unlike yesterday's entry, this Yo La Tengo song is a one for the season. "The Summer" would be perfect hammock music, if you go for that sort of thing. I once owned a hammock... it was one of those cheap $20 ones that you're supposed to take down after each use. That got tedious really fast. They also don't tell you how much of a bitch it is to find two perfectly spaced trees, at least in a convenient spot. Sure, you can find the trees, but you just may be out in your neighbor's backward, hovering above a bed of boulders. I guess that's why people splurge on decent weather-resistant hammocks with come with their own self-sufficient stands. Cheap hammocks: not worth it.

"The Summer" comes from Yo La Tengo's first great album, Fakebook as well as their 3-disc best-of compilation Prisoners of Love. It's a lovely one. I personally find those last few days when the Summer is winding down ("coming undone") to be some of my favorite moments.

Yo La Tengo - The Summer

"On darkened streets tonight
I see a simple time
I see the warning light
When the summer comes undone

No sorry closing eyes
No cutting down to size
No other thoughts arise
When the summer comes undone

On darkened streets tonight
I make a wrong turn right
Take in the lonely sight
When the summer comes undone

And I won't wait
And I won't have to
I just waste my time alone

'til the summer comes undone
'til the summer comes undone
'til the summer comes undone"


"The Summer" music video


Yo La Tengo - Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs 1985-2003 @Amazon.com

No comments: