Friday, July 20, 2007

Low - July


Slowcore... what a terrible word. I'd take it over Sadcore though any day. So Slow/Sadcore, what do you speak of? Well if you look at the history of it, Galaxie 500 were the predators to the genre, as it wasn't until the Red House Painters and Codeine came along that the term was coined. Though an eclectic mix of bands have been described as "slowcore" its main ingredients involve an understated, occasionally lagging rhythm section, minimal chord changes, and of course slow tempos. Now taken at face value that sounds pretty boring, and yes, when at its worst it can be. The first time I listened to Codeine I was literally knocked out by the fourth track, pun intended. However in its more shining moments the genre can be incredibly atmospheric, hypnotic, and beautiful. Depending one your view, it can either be one of the least self-indulgent or most self-indulgent genres out there. Me, not one for "look at me!" solos and musical excess side with the former.

This Low track defining slowcore quite well. It's a very pretty song. It also happens to my last entry on this month+ spree of "Summer Songs," something I originally intended to do for a week. I'm not sure what I'll cover next week...maybe weird bands.

Low - July

"Wait -- it's late
We've missed the date
Gone, I guess
With the rest, the rest

They'll never wake us in time
They'll never wake us in time
Maybe we'll wait 'til July

Now -- at last
I hear them pass
Gone, I guess
With the rest, the rest

They'll never wake us in time
They'll never wake us in time
Maybe we'll wait 'til July
Then August, September
October, November or December

La la, la la la"


"July" comes off of the Low's Steve Albini produced album Things We Lost in the Fire, one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2001.

Low - Things We Lost in the Fire @ Sub Pop Records

No comments: