Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Rentals - My Summer Girl


The Rentals...damn. I'm rediscovering these guys as I type. You see, in my early high school years I was obsessed with Weezer. I'm not using obsessed lightly here: I'd be one to pay almost $20 for a Japanese imported two-track single (for "Photograph" nonetheless!) The albums themselves weren't enough... I needed all the individual singles, t-shirts, posters, alternative versions, this, I even have an entire CD case completely filled with CD-Rs of live shows and demo versions. Looking at my hard drive, I have 5.22 gigs of Weezer related material. Jeez. To top it all off I paid $85 to see them at a sold-out-within-seconds show at the Avalon in Boston.

But eventually my love affair with Weezer began to tide down. I then pursued the Pixies after hearing a cover of "Velouria" that Weezer did, and that began a new era of music for me. I was in my Pixies phase for years, that obsession not being shaken until I stumbled upon Joanna Newsom last year. I still love all them all though, yet I could frisk over my embarrassing nu-metal jaunt in middle school.

However in the case of Weezer vary few recordings from their 2000-onwards output I particularly dig anymore. Actually, I've probably just come to the realization that the majority of them suck. The Blue Album and Pinkerton however are undeniable classics and records that I'll always hold in a special place. What went wrong? Did Rivers suddenly become overly concerned in writing perfect pop songs and ignored the sincerity and instinct that made those records so good? Or was Matt Sharp really that awesome? Either or, Return of the Rentals is really good. I should take this album out more often. It seems next month the Rentals are putting out a new EP, their first release since 1999's Seven More Minutes. Apparently it will feature 4 new songs as well as a re-recorded version of the fantastic closer on Return of the Rentals, "Sweetness and Tenderness. "Opportune!

The Rentals - My Summer Girl

"My summer girl
She was my world
He's got her now
Charmed her some how

I know I'm not your type
I know I'm not your type
I know I'm not your type
I'll never be your type

All summer long
Feelings grew strong
All through the time
I was not blind

My summer girl
My summer girl
My summer girl
My summer girl

I'll never be your type
I'll never be your type..."


The Rentals - Return of the Rentals @ Amazon.com

No comments: