Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Yo La Tengo - My Little Corner of the World


Now I wouldn't go forgetting about Yo La Tengo, another band I saw last Saturday. I'm relatively new to Yo La Tengo, and as of now I've only heard two of their albums, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass, their newest album. I really like the new record, and think I Can Hear the Heart... is fantastic. I get the feeling they're going to be a band that I will be enjoying a lot more in the future.

Their set was great- a good mix between the two sides of Yo La Tengo, the straightforward pop side and the hypnotizing shoegazey one. A few times during their set they invited brass musicians from Brown to play onstage with them. That would have been an experience.

Today's song is definitely more representative of Yo La Tengo's poppier side. It reminds me a bit of the Velvet Underground's After Hours, both how it closes the record, the general longing theme, and the slightly apathetic sounding vocal delivery. It's also one of those happy, yet not really songs. Definitely one of my favorite songs of theirs...so far.

Yo La Tengo - My Little Corner of the World


"Come along with me
to my little corner of the world
Dream a little dream
in my little corner of the world
You'll soon forget
that there's any other place
Tonight, my love
we'll share a sweet embrace
And if you care to stay
in my little corner of the world
We'll ride away
in my little corner of the world
I always knew that I'd find someone like you
So hop o'er to my little corner of the world

And if you care to stay
in our little corner of the world
We could hide away
in our little corner of the world
We always knew that we'd find someone like you
So hop o'er to our little corner of the world"


































































Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One @ Amazon.com

No comments: