Monday, June 25, 2007

Islands - Jogging Gorgeous Summer


Islands. Though they're technically just strayed chunks of land or volcanic aftermath we tend to think of them rather as what they can do for us, rather than what they scientifically are. There's of course the inescapable ocean, and ever present sand, somehow tropical drinks and steel drums also make it into our definitions.

Then there's Islands the band. Somewhat like the land masses, rather than what they are (normal people, some unicorns, who eat, sleep and engage in the same activities we do) we think of them in terms of what we can get from them. In this case it's very enjoyable and fun music. Their debut album Return to the Sea was my second favorite record of last year, falling just behind Joanna Newsom's Ys. It still gets plently of regular plays from me, especially lately as I managed to snag a copy of it on white vinyl (limited to 500 copies!) All of it sounds great this time of year, but as this one song had "summer" in its title, it just needed to be chosen for this entry. Plus it literally sounds like an island.

Islands - Jogging Gorgeous Summer

"Woke up with rain on my head
I can’t dry off so what should I do instead?
Swim to the biggest flower bed
Pick one for you and kiss you my love

So when the storm clouds dissolved into thin air
Like when my hands got lost in your thick hair
Dogs bark, long days, not dark
The sky’s blue so what should we do?
We can do anything we want to

Millions of sunsets but the one I'll remember
Is the one where you told me you’ll love me forever

Took a long walk into the woods
Climbing the world’s biggest tree
And then they tried to cut it down
But we didn’t make a sound
The sun blinded them, they couldn’t see

Woke up next to you in your bed
Another day to do it all again
Creeped out into the sun
Another day to give you all my love

Millions of sunsets but the one I remember
Is the one where you told me you’d love me forever"


Live performance in a record store:


Islands - Return to the Sea @Amazon.com

No comments: