Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Slowdive - Machine Gun


Shoegaze. That term and My Bloody Valentine go hand in hand nowadays. However there's much more that genre has to offer than just Loveless. To name a few there's Galaxie 500, Spaceman 3, Spiritualized, Ride, and this here band, Slowdive. Though Loveless is obviously considered the shoegaze masterpiece, the Slowdive album Souvlaki would come in a close second.
There's some moments on this record even that I find superior to the Loveless behemoth, "Machine Gun" in particular. This song has such an asphyxiating quality to it... while listening your head begins to feel lighter and your body seems to slow down. Correspondingly, the lyrics have several references to drowning and being pulled under water. The way the song is produced gives you this sensation of being completely overcome, something that mirrors the descriptions of helpless and both physical and emotional engulfing in the lyrics. I feel this song would be perfect for a slow motion cinematic death scene, tragic in nature but beautiful in execution. This song is really something.

Slowdive - Machine Gun


"See you walking and I know shes my friend, again
Just the weight of the water drags me down, again
Guess I'll think of the water its my friend, oh yeah
It's just the way that the water makes me feel again

Son of sheba I saw him drown
Son of yellow I saw him drown
It's all I need, yeah"


A live performance-


Slowdive- Souvlaki @ Amazon.com

No comments: