Friday, May 18, 2007

Death from Above 1979 - Romantic Rights

Today is Human Giant day! My favorite show that's been on MTV since Clone High (excluding Wonder Showzen on MTV2) is being broadcast for 24 hours. Actually, to clarify, the show itself isn't going to be on for 24 hours, but rather anything that Aziz Ansari, Rob Hubel and Paul Sheer wish to air. So far Mastadon, Ted Leo, the Walkmen and one of my personal favorite comedians Eugene Mirman have showed up as guests, with more to come. The goal of this day is to get 1,000,000 unique hits to http://www.humangiant.mtv.com, or the show gets cancelled.

Now is this legit or simply a marketing ploy? Will we be getting a second season regardless or will today actually determine the show's fate? We will see. Later Will Arnett, Michael Cera, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Showalter, and Bob Odenkirk will be on, so I'm staying tuned in.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is the music. Pavement, Devendra Banhart, Iron & Wine, Ted Leo, Tapes 'N Tapes and many other indie acts have all been featured. Death from Above 1979's "Romantic Rights" is the theme, which I've posted below.

Death from Above 1979 - Romantic Rights

I'll end this entry with my two favorite Human Giant clips. The first "Clell Tickle: Indie Marketing Guru" is about the power of blogs in breaking a band, specifically Tapes 'N Tapes. It's pretty hilarious.



Death from Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine @ Amazon.com

No comments: