Monday, December 10, 2007

Flaming Lips - Christmas at the Zoo, A Change at Christmas (Say it Isn't So)

I love the Lips so much. I've already covered their (unfortunately rather lackluster) version of "White Christmas," but today here's two originals that fare off much better. "Christmas at the Zoo" is one of the highlights of off their underrated 1996 record Clouds Taste Metallic. It's about going to the zoo and freeing the animals on Christmas eve, but the animals don't wish to leave, yet are flattered that you thought about them enough to do so. Very nice.

The second song, "A Change at Christmas," comes from 2003's Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell EP and comments on how everyone is so much nicer to each other during the Holiday season and how much better the world would be if this period never ended. Very true. However, what would become of Christmas season then? Would we have to be even more pleasant?

The Flaming Lips - Christmas at the Zoo
backup link


"There wasn't any snow on Christmas Eve
And I knew what I should do
I thought I'd free the animals
All locked up at the zoo

I opened up the fence where the peacocks were
The lamas were unleashed
The snakes and seals could all get out
But they refused to leave

All of the animals agreed
They're not happy at the zoos
But they preferred to save themselves
They seemed to think they could

The elephants, orangutans
All the birds and kangaroos all said
"Thanks but no thanks, man
But to be concerned is good"

It started to snow on Christmas Eve
In the middle of the night
Walking through the state park zoo
And everything is white"


Promo-video


The Flaming Lips - A Change at Christmas (Say it Isn't So)
backup link


"I know everything changes
Yeah, it's strange how time marches on
Maybe there'll be some time in the future
Oh, tell me I'm not wrong

Oh, if I could stop time
It would be a frozen moment just around Christmas
When all of mankind reveals its truest potential
And there is sympathy for the suffering
Yes, there is sympathy for those who are suffering

And the world embraces peace and love and mercy
Instead of power and fear
And as sure as I'm standing here
I swear it really does appear that a change comes over us
Yes, some kind of change comes over us

And it's glimpsed for one shining moment
And this change feels like a change that's real
But then it passes along with the season
And then we just go back to the way we were
Yes, we just go back to the way we were

Say it isn't so
Tell me I'm not just a dreamer
I'm talking with a friend and he knows how it ends
He says it's easier, that's just the way we are
That's human nature and that's just the way we are
Oh, say it isn't so!"


The Flaming Lips official website

No comments: